Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Dhoni - My way or the highway

About 2 years ago, I had written an article on Dhoni's courage and his strange ways.

 Dhoni's strange ways

This article was written before India's 2011 world cup victory. Since then India has lost many series. The team's form has gone from bad to worse. And there is no end in sight.

Former players, selectors and cricket experts are asking for Dhoni's head but all we hear is some promises made by Dhoni. What is happening? Let us try to dissect the current state of affairs.

Is Dhoni still a good leader? I think so. He stands by his players and his decisions. He usually does not find fault with system.
Has his courage deserted him? No, but he has become autocratic and has started thinking that he is right and others are wrong.
Should there be a change in leadership? Maybe, selectors would know better but they should not be influenced by BCCI's managing committee. Maybe they can give a break to Dhoni for upcoming Australia series.
What is the solution? There are number of things that can be done but firstly selection should be left to selectors; Dhoni and/or BCCI's managing committee should have no role in it.
Are there any other reasons for recent defeats? I think coaching staff is not up to the par. Read an article which I wrote about a year ago  Can this be the reason for India's recent performances?

Read another article which highlights Dhoni's role. Undaunted despite defeat

As a fan I can only hope that India goes back to winning ways soon...

4 comments:

  1. Not being an Indian fan I wouldn't like to interfere in your debate on Dhoni's captaincy but I admire the man greatly as it seems to me he brings, on the cricket field at least, a much needed steely backbone to the side.

    You might find my own blog article on Dhoni's test innings at Nagpur of some interest - go to http://viewsfromthevalleyend.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/a-fateful-day-for-dhoni.html.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Your article is well written.

      Dhoni is a good leader - he stands by his players but I believe his arrogance and impunity (which happens with most successful human beings) is creating creating problems.

      But more than Dhoni it is the BCCI who is at fault for not noticing and taking any action. If we look at history of Indian cricket. Successful captains like Kapil, Azhar or even Ganguly were not spared if they had successive losses. Even the great Tendulkar chose to step down when BCCI could not dare to touch him.

      Delete
  2. considering that everybody is after the captain, I don't understand why nobody is talking about the coach. I feel that team preparations are not up to the mark. during Gary's time, preparation levels were very high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rajinder, I cannot agree more.

      We have noticed in recent past that English and Pakistani teams used to come to Match venue for practice much before the hosts.

      Delete